View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Sodascouts, David, and jbrown, I would also love to hear how you guys became FM fans... age optional, of course
Since you asked...

I was a college student when The Dance came out. I didn't pay attention to any news about Fleetwood Mac reuniting. I didn't listen to 70s music. I couldn't have named any songs by Fleetwood Mac at the time - I was familiar with songs like "Gypsy" and "Little Lies" from the radio, but never paid attention to who sang them. I knew Stevie Nicks sang "Talk to Me" but I didn't even know she was in Fleetwood Mac. I loved "Holiday Road" from National Lampoon's but had never heard the name "Lindsey Buckingham" in my life.

All this would change in 1997. As I was driving home one day, the radio played "Landslide" and the DJ talked a bit about Fleetwood Mac and The Dance. I thought it was a pretty song. It moved me. I was intrigued. Then, as an avid VH1 watcher at the time, I saw the "Silver Springs" video and was BLOWN AWAY. I went from intrigued to fascinated. That song so was so intense, so powerful... and what was up with the guitarist and Stevie Nicks?!

I bought The Dance CD and loved it. I played it over and over. I got the Greatest Hits next. I eagerly looked out for the special on VH1 and when they finally showed it, they also played their Behind the Music and HOLY MOLY.... I was just astounded... LOL. This was some kind of band! Then they played that Rumours: Classic Albums program (they were having some kind of "Fleetwood Mac weekend") and I thought that Rumours sounded like an album I needed to have.

I bought Rumours and the White Album. I thought they were incredible. At this point, I was loving every Mac album I'd bought. I was on a budget, so it took time, but I eventually bought Tusk, Mirage, Tango, Stevie's Enchanted box set, Lindsey's CDs... by the summer of 1998, I had everything.

I checked out tour dates... NOPE. I had just missed them. Blast it! Had I missed my only chance? What if they never toured again? Little did I know!

During this time, I was finding out more and more. I having an "inquiring mind" lol. I looked in the library; I scoured the internet. There was this site, and some cool sites that are gone now like The Legacy and the Stevie Nicks Underground. There were also lots of small fansites on free servers. I was really into SnL in particular but didn't see much just on BN - there was just one pretty sparse site with the BN album in realplayer files. At the time, some friends and I were sharing copies of Photoshop and PageMill and experimenting with making websites, and I made a site for BN.

That was 1999. My journey from "Fleetwood Who?" to obsessed megafan with encyclopedic knowledge took about eighteen months!