View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I just don't find Lindsey's lyrics to be so literal to real events in the way Stevie's are....I mean he can do sometimes, but often, by his own admission, his lyrics come really late in the game and he often just goes with what sounds good or fits, without having any deep meaningful story he's trying to tell. Bits and pieces might have some correlation with something real and other bits are just what fit rhythmically and rhyme. He's a composer moreso than a writer, whereas Stevie is more a writer than a composer. He's more like Christine... as she said on Johnny Walker, she just makes up stories around some small kernel of something true... and her example was Over My Head, and how it was based originally on Lindsey... how he was difficult to work with and moody "you can take me to paradise/then again you can be cold as ice" and she wove it into the structure of a story about a relationship because that is the style of song she excels at. So you couldn't say "oh this is about her and John breaking up" or "this is about her and Lindsey having an affair" or something, because neither is really true....but both of those explanations could make sense. But as she said "I just make up stories" to provide a narrative for a catchy song. I think he mostly does the same these days.
yes, exactly. composer is the word i think i've been looking for awhile without even knowing, in reference to LB and CM!

when i say this song reminds me of Christine, i don't see it as them literally having an affair. i just see him randomly inserting references to past songs and adding lyrics about sex on top of some real event that happened - like somebody said, perhaps sorting out working visa or some such documents to be able to perform with FM.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"