View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Mystery To Me, 1973. The best album they ever made!
I'm glad someone else thinks this was a high point in Mac history. Though I'd widen it to 1973-1974 to include 3 albums: Penguin, Mystery To Me, and Heroes Are Hard To Find. MTM definitely was the standout album of the era, and really, one of the top 5 albums the band ever released. I love Penguin & Heroes too. These 3 albums represent when Bob Welch really came into his own. There's just something about him I've never been able to pinpoint. He's got the mysticism of Stevie Nicks, the storytelling of Peter Green, the pop chops of Christine McVie, and eccentric sonic sensibilities of Lindsey Buckingham. Bob's story is such a tragedy, too. He left Fleetwood Mac just as he was hitting his stride, he wasn't included in the RRHOF, and his death was just heartbreaking. It really bothers me his FM albums aren't available on streaming mediums like Spotify, either. This pretty much guarantees future generations will never hear Bob's FM music.

I also love 1979-1980 in an entirely different way. Tusk is my all time favorite album by any band. Stevie Nicks really flexed her muscles during Tusk, stepped out of the shadows, and became a star. The tour was this giant monster, too. I love the snapshot in time that the Live album is. When I think of the definitive era of Fleetwood Mac, this is it.