Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 AM

Showbiz Analysis: Catching Up With Fleetwood Mac Legend Mick Fleetwood

It is going to be a non-stop, music-filled spring and summer for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Fleetwood Mac legend Mick Fleetwood. While it’s been decades since the 1977 release of Fleetwood Mac’s multi-Grammy winning album Rumours, the amazing impact of the band and Mick Fleetwood continues. I caught up with Fleetwood as he prepared to leave Maui for Malibu to headline the Malibu Guitar Festival with Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, to discuss his fascinating journey and the power of great music. (I also asked to be put on his substitute tambourine player list for The Classic East and The Classic West concerts, but that’s for another story.)

Listen to the conversation with Mick Fleetwood on Nancy’s podcast.

You could say that Fleetwood is a team player. And a Renaissance man. The drummer, author, photographer, restauranteur and wine entrepreneur has followed his musical passion while taking the opportunity to embrace his other creative interests and the talent of others. There’s sometimes a blending of projects. A Mick Fleetwood Blues Band moment in his restaurant. An autobiography about his journey before, during and after Fleetwood Mac. It’s what creative forces do so well. That and recognizing the underlying beauty and magic of their craft.

Fleetwood is looking forward to his return to Malibu this month, bringing his band and their guitar power to the Malibu Guitar Festival, and enjoying the spontaneous cross-collaboration that can often happen during these musical experiences.

“Apart from the actual bands that are playing, I know that there’s a lot of jamming around quite often. And no one ever quite knows how and what that’s gonna be,” says Fleetwood, whose band rocks its own great musicians.

“The band features Rick Vito on guitar, who had a short tenure with Fleetwood Mac many years ago, and is a hugely talented blues guitar player and very, very well-known for his slide playing. He’s just a brilliant guitar player….and so we’re going to have a lot of fun.”

Shortly after the Malibu Guitar Festival moment, Fleetwood will shift gears a bit as Fleetwood Mac prepares to headline The Classic East and The Classic West concerts. After decades of performances, has he noticed any shift in the feelings he experiences when he’s onstage doing what he loves? Fleetwood believes little has changed in that department.

“I would have to fall down heavily on just becoming—not to be corny—becoming a child that is loving what he’s doing and being in the moment. And yes, of course you know, working out there with Fleetwood Mac…what one might say, ‘the high-powered version’…you’re very often on the road for over a year…For me, the end result is that I’m totally driven just by emotionally being connected to what I do. In fact, if I didn’t have that, I think I’d be in a whole load of trouble…My requisite is I have to, at all costs, feel something and hopefully a lot while I’m playing. So getting in the zone is what is a requisite and a hope always for me. So whether you’re in front of 300,000 people or 20 people in my restaurant…or 300 people in my restaurant, or whatever happens to be, when I’m playing I’m pretty much the same little animal that started doing this when he was 15 years old.”

When talking with fans, Fleetwood is often reminded of the reason he’s continuously willing to take the stage.

“It’s been quite a journey…With all the great things and some of the sad things that have happened along the way…then the music chimes up and you get people, such as yourself, who quite frankly have made no bones about it that they’ve enjoyed the ride and they’ve loved the music. And then you turn round and quietly say to yourself, ‘Hey, no matter what, all of this has been worth a damn.’” Indeed it has.

https://parade.com/570610/nancyberk/...ick-fleetwood/