View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I liked OSOTM better than Rock a Little and the show I caught on the tour in Toronto was quite good- nice to hear the 5 tracks from the new album. I remember reading somewhere that the "Tragedy of One's Own Soul" (there's a mouthful lol), Dial the Number and Don't Treat me Like a Stranger" were originally considered for the album. As with all albums after the exquisite Bella Donna, each had misfires and stellar songs left off. OSOTM did not need ANY cover songs- bad idea. Mirror Mirror in the '92 vibe would've fit perfectly, Thousand Days with some lyric edits, Running Through the Garden to name a few- also would've been a good spot for one or two of the Rhiannon soundtrack songs. Overall contains 3 or 4 of her best tunes but the rest has little staying power. Rooms on Fire belongs in her top 5 songs for sure and was even played back in the day by radio stations that would not have touched a Stevie Nicks song, which is saying a lot!
Those OSOTM demos like Dial the number are horrible and no surprise why they did not make the album. They are lifeless and she is zonked out singing them.
Oddly enough, I hate RAL but love the RAL demos or songs left off the album
I really like OSOTM but hate the demos and songs that were left off. OSOTM had an easier chance of being an excellent album. The magical Stevie was back. RAL was funky pop songs that never fit Stevie IMHO. Its the worst thing to be something you are not. I never considered Stevie a pop star but it almost seemed like with RAL she was trying to be one against her will. Stevie said that once Tom Petty called her a pop star and she said she ran across the other side of the room and was offended by the comment.