View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
After a day of Shrine '69 and Vaudeville Years, I'm well and truly over Peter Green's FM and am moving onto Kiln House tomorrow. Should I get through everything by the end of next week then I might go back to BBC and Boston albums. If I get bored and desperate I might do Blues Jam at Chess (never my favorite album at the best of times).

What I have discovered, perhaps more about myself than the band is that I can only take PG's FM in relatively small doses (if five days of it is considered a small dose).

I have particularly enjoyed Jeremy's work on Vaudeville, particularly his impersonations - Alexis Korner, John Mayall, etc. Danny's work as always is excellent, I can't ever really fault his stuff.

I was playing Jeremy doing Blue Suede Shoes last night when my wife came in and was trying to have a serious conversation with me. Hard to have one of those while in the background Jeremy is suggesting you should suck and lick a certain part of his anatomy. Melissa was not impressed!

I did wonder though when he was singing that song, whether that was the one he used to do with Harold the dildo sticking out of his fly.

Two quotes from Vaudeville which made me laugh today while driving:

Just before we start can I just say, for those of you who live in Timbuktu...[a few seconds of silence follow]

and

It's got to be good its the only bluesy thing on the whole f**king LP! [in reference to Showbiz Blues]

One day I'm going to go to Timbuktu and play the song to find out what the message was

This is why Fleetwood Mac is unique. As much as I've tried to compare this band to Chicago, the differences in style over the years are much more stark in comparison to the band that had the horn section with the brilliant guitarist who decided to play Russian roulette, and lose (he thought there were no bullets in the gun).

I've read you wrong chriskisn, I thought you were a Peter Green fan. I never tire of the Peter Green era, it's like listening to something new each time I hear Peter Green play the guitar, even if I've heard it many times over. I've come across many guitarists, most of them bore me to death. That includes Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, and Jimmy Page. Yet Peter Green never bores me. The way he played a solo is so special, it's original, melodic, and captivating at the same time. He never played the same solo twice, and it never bores me compared to the guitarists named above.

Personally I can take Led Zeppelin in relatively small doses. That means I was once a teenage fan of Led Zeppelin, but their overexposure to this day bores me because they were never as good as the media, and sycophantic fans under the age of fifty seem to think they were.

If you really want to hear Fleetwood Mac in the studio with Peter Green, "The Original Fleetwood Mac" (the 1999 Blue Horizon box set version), is the best example. It will explain my hatred towards Led Zeppelin (Track 1), and includes the original blues jam that spawned the name of the band.

Fleetwood Mac from 8/'68 (Danny Kirwan)-5/'70 had all the parts to be that big great band that Led Zeppelin became. Peter Green's timing was off, and he left Fleetwood Mac just as they were to make a breakthrough tour in the US during the summer of 1970. Green quit because he saw the grueling tour schedule ahead, and couldn't take it.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-22-2010 at 12:11 AM..