View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
David, at first I thought you were crazy...but after reading your post, I definitely see your logic and I have to agree: if FM had scrapped the tour, Lindsey likely would never have left, so yeah, in that respect, he was fired. I guess the big difference between now and then is, this time he didn't want to be fired, whereas last time he didn't give a blank.

If FM hadn't toured, all might have calmed down and cooler heads may have prevailed... eventually, and maybe they would have released another album sooner than 1996. It's interesting to imagine "what if" in these scenarios. However, I was thrilled FM continued with their tour back in 1987, and I loved Rick and Billy and Behind the Mask and the other songs recorded during that particular era, so I'm glad it worked out the way it did, right down to the Dance.
One major issue about the 1987 tour was Mick wanted to get out of bankruptcy. He not only wanted to tour but needed to tour. Lindsey felt he did his part with creating a successful album. We would never know but I disagree that cooler heads would have prevailed and after 1987 the Rumours 5 would have gotten back in the studio in a few years. Lindsey had a horrible experience during Tango. Stevie's klonopin addiction was just about to go full steam and Mick was still using and abusing. I don't see Lindsey entertaining the idea again. But who knows. The rest of the band did not have a successful solo career like Stevie so they definitely wanted to tour to make some money.