View Single Post
Old 10-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I read an article years ago about how state fairs were able to get more and more big name acts- it said that a state fair can pay more than a typical venue because the payout is not contingent on how many tickets are sold. In other words, a performer could make a million dollars for one show no matter how many (or how few) tickets are sold. I saw Stevie at the Ohio State fair… and before Covid I saw Dolly Parton there. Neither one of them were touring the state fair circuit LOL- for both of them, the Ohio State fair was just one stop on a lengthy tour.
Calm down
I was just stating things you already know. Street Angel was not successful and the tour was not hugely successful either. But she always draws a crowd. Her Timespace tour in the middle of a recession was not packing them in either. I was just saying that she once joked that she does not play state fairs. But she did. I am sure there was a good crowd there. But you are smart enough to know that fairs or amusement parks are a way of getting a bigger crowd rather than playing a separate venue. Chris did it on her solo tour too playing the Great Adventure Amusement Park in 1984.
I am sure you don't disagree with my point that the Dance restarted her solo career.
But maybe you do.
I am not bashing Stevie just stating the reality.

Going back to my earlier post about album sales. In those days that is how the artists made money. Chris had good taste and I am sure she spent good money to rent that famous studio in Switzerland and hire big guns like Eric Clapton. When its all said and done creatively it paid off but financially she may have broke even. Lindsey may not have spent as much but Law and Order barely cracked the top 40. Today no one cares about album sales if they can make big bucks off touring. But Chris and Lindsey could not do either... make big bucks of their early solo albums nor tour. It was all Stevie darling.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-21-2023 at 11:05 AM..