View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I pretty much agree with everything this article is saying, especially the part about monster SUVs. Whenever I see a Hummer or an Escalade on the road, I just have to smirk at their hubris while I mentally calculate how much they have to pay for a tank of gas- probably well over $100! Out on eastern Long Island, 93 octane is edging towards $5.

I'm looking forward to the day that wind and solar power (not coal or ethanol ) will be used indirectly to power our vehicles. I do think this is achievable via hydrogen fuel cell technology. But our leaders have been asleep at the wheel with regard to energy policy... And all of this money wasted on the so-called "Stimulus Package" and the war could have been set aside to jumpstart a green energy economy a la Roosevelt after the Depression.
Some of us might remember the horrible energy crisis in the 70's? I remember my family waiting on loooooooong lines to get gas which was very high in price. And also, you could only buy it on certain days based on a license plate numbering scheme. Remembah?
then, when I finally became a driver in 1987, gas was down to about $0.95 per gallon. So that was a cycle right there- it had rose dramatically and then fell. Maybe, it will fall again?
I'd like to see more creative types of fuels too, as long as it doesn't entail knocking down forests and other environmentally sensitive lands in order to plant mega-farms of industrial corn. Here in NYC, I'd love to see more creative mass transit too, more subways, maybe monorails, more high speed ferries, tramways, things like that. Less cars, less buses. Maybe in our lifetime, we'll see alot of these things too. The trick is, to creatively generate the electricity without having to use petroleum or dirty coal.

I realize I've said the word 'creatively' several times, because this is the time for out-of-the-box solutions. No?