View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
First listen (VPNs are worth the investment!): I'd have expected to have more of Christine in the vocals for the first single so the lack prominent vocals is a surprise.

It's sonically softer than SWS, which is a good thing. That works for Lindsey solo but wouldn't mesh with Christine.

The chorus is super catchy.

Lindsey is still using the varispeed vocals that were on SWS. I like it here and on SWS but I know some people didn't (sorry, elle!).

Production notes: Lots of hard panning going on. It sounds like everything is close to left-centre-right. It's very wide when you listen on headphones. This is something I really, really like since it comes close to my day-job's niche.

On second listen: If Christine is here, she's very buried. I do agree that she's more present in the instrumentation in a very good way.

Probably more notes to follow.

EDIT: On third listen and I'm grooving away with a massive smile on my face

EDIT 2: It makes me think of Did You Miss Me from GOS as a lead single. It isn't that similar musically but both are good pop songs with enough of a quirk to keep them interesting. The only thing I could do without are the Big Love grunts, but I wonder if they aren't intentionally recalling that song for some reason. I haven't dug into the lyrics yet to see if there could be some reference.
Argh about varispeed, I really really hoped he'd grow out of that. Hate that he didn't and that Christine didn't make him stop with that. Also dislike possible similarity to DYMM, that song sounded like cheap pop formula to me... I really hope the parts of it reminds you of are not the parts I strongly dislike- such as DYMM chorus. This is not promising I was hoping for something more like sad angel or that's the way love goes, musically.
Thanks so much for all the early reviews guys!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"