View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It might raise an eyebrow if Petty wasn't even mentioned but I don't think people would be that bothered if they didn't play a Tom Petty song. I certainly think people could live without the images. As others have said, when you consider Kirwan and Welch were actual members then multiple images of Tom Petty seem disproportionate- especially as this is a tour celebrating 50 years of this band.

The biggest issue I have is placing it in the encore. I have it in my head an encore should be a rousing, fun celebration of the band. A tribute for another artist might be better buried somewhere in the middle of the set.
I have no problem with them doing it for the first few shows since the tour began so close to the anniversary of Tom's death. As to continuing it for months into the tour, I don't know about that... With that said, based on the videos of FF and the reports of those who attended saying how the crowd sang along and really got into it, it appears Stevie was right about it being "a moment".