View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, she completely earned being a successful artist outside of Fleetwood Mac all on her own. It’s not like she sang on a hugely successful duet with Kenny Loggins. And, apparently we’re supposed to forget that her first “solo” hit was a TPATH song she overdubed herself on, followed up with a duet with Don Henley. But, it’s all Stevie.

And, it’s not like Christine wasn’t retired for the better part of a generation, but we’re not supposed to talk about that, either, right? We’re totally supposed to forget that the 2014-15 tour was bigger than the 2013 tour, right?

Christine and Lindsey didn’t focus so much on being seen as entities outside of Fleetwood Mac. Why would they? Christine had the lion’s share of hit singles.

Yes, Atlantic would much rather have released LBCM than a Fleetwood Mac album that featured 4/5 of the classic lineup, including the band’s primary hit writer.

I don’t disagree. But if we’re being puritanical, he should have just quit and gone his own way if it wasn’t going to be credited to Fleetwood Mac. Really, he isn’t any further along right now.

Except that Christine, who had half of Fleetwood Mac’s top 40 hits, and 3/5 of their top 5, was still retired at that point. When she came back, all bets should have been off.

Completely agree. Doesn’t make it right, or ultimately beneficial to him. What did he gain by not simply being honest? LBCM suffered by not being credited to (rightfully) Fleetwood Mac, and Lindsey still got fired though he never called out Stevie during the pressers. Someone, ultimately Mick, but probably with the input of lawyers and industry types, discouraged it, and Lindsey lost a little credibility as a result.

He said something about grabbing the bag of money and running, too.
I dont know how to quote all of this separately and I'm really tired of posts like this but anyways:
First of all I wasn't making a statement about how Stevie became so popular. Just that she did become that popular, more so than the other members and she is. She by far had the most successful solo career and to most people, she's the main 'recognizable' person that represents Fleetwood Mac. I'm not even saying that I think that's how it should be, but it is and that's why she has power. Because she puts butts in seats more than any other member. Christine coming back obviously was a great thing for lots of people which helped make the last tour such a hit. But the tours without her also did very well. A FM tour without Stevie would not sell that way. That's why promoters were willing to axe Lindsey if it meant making Stevie stay. Because they can do okay with another member gone again and they did in the past, but they won't sell they way they want without Stevie.

And yes they absolutely would lol. All a record company will think about when they imagine an FM album without Stevie is the people who won't buy it and the people who would if it did have Stevie. Because for all those casual fans, when they see an album titled under 'Fleetwood Mac' and they don't see Stevie, they're going to be confused because to them Stevie is like the Mick Jagger of FM. They wouldn't buy a Rolling Stones album without Mick and so they won't buy a FM album without Stevie. But an LB/Chris duet isn't called Fleetwood Mac. It doesn't have that problem. It's going to have a very similar buying group and probably sell less yes, but in the end, they don't have to worry about 'This Fleetwood Mac album would've sold way better had Stevie been on it', because they didn't call it Fleetwood Mac and didn't market it as FM either-- probably a big part of why they kept repeating over and over the 'this was never supposed to be a FM album' line.

And I totally disagree that Lindsey should've just quit the band lol. He's given so much of his life to that band, while he was no doubt frustrated about how things were going, he's like 70 years old and to have left at the point would've just 'tarnished the legacy' as he said. But maybe had he known that he'd get kicked out and it would be tarnished in a much worse way anyways, he might have. Who knows. That's a big 'what if'.

And Lindsey was talking about the Classics shows when he said that. I'm not sure what that has to do with any of this. There's a pretty big difference between those shows and an album. Those shows got a lot of bad reviews all of which basically said 'this feels like an oldies cash grab' so it's really not a surprise Lindsey wasn't happy during them. I was actually surprised when I saw how many negative reviews the whole thing got. But it's not like he's gonna quit his damn band over two shows. Hence why he just said, referring to that situation, take the money and go. But that comment from the RS interviewers shows he wasn't exactly hiding the fact that he did want an album and Stevie was blocking it.