View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree. Even the worst song on OSOTM is better than any Stevie song on Tango. Her voice was in such better shape and I felt almost as if it was a comeback album. Some very deep, personal, and intense lyrics which are only better on Bella Donna. Even better is the musicians she worked with on OSOTM.

Back in 1998, when I forst became a Fan, RAL and OSOTM were totally uncool cheesy 80s. Yuck.

But. Osotm has grown on me and I like it a lot now. RAL is so... hodgepodge. Too many chefs in the kitchen. And some really bad crapola. Osotm was unified and consistent and very well produced by Holmes. Its very atmopsheric and mystical. I dont know how she pulled off the vocals though in her Klonopin phase. Her demos from that era were TRASH. (Tradedy of ones own soul/Lilly Girl) how Holms pulled any emotion out of her was a miracle. Im sure it wook the co-writers on that album a lot to make a purse out of those sows ears.

Her first two albums are classic “Heartbreakers” rock, so they stand the test of time a lot better. They also faired better in the late 90s and beyond because that “sound” never really went out of style except for the mid to late 80s. Grundge brought back the accoustic sound that enabled acts like Sheryl Crow, And late 90s bands like Oasis and Verve and the jacob Dylan band to have hits with real instruments. That lasted into the early 2000s with Santana making a comeback and Stevie to have TISL make top 3 with a Sheryls Crow “sound” wnd demos from the Belladonna era. The big mistake with TIsL was same as RAL where she couldnt decide in a cohesive “sound” and mixed the Belladonna era songs with cheesy early 2000s synth pop crapola that sounds dated. Of course it ALL came crashing down when Pop music strayed toward Britney Speaks, NStnc and american Idol garbage.