View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Blues is Brewing....

Yes, it is a fantastic piece of work Christopher Hjort has created. Unfortunately I don't know how to "multi quote" so: great comments from MDLW, slipkid and a very good review from you Derek Slade. I am looking forward to the up-date on Hjorts book, too.

About peers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLW View Post
As a huge fan of both Green and Gilmour I have been interested to find any comments made by either about other guitar players. The only one I have found regarding these two was Gilmour's response to an interviewer's suggestion that the opening guitar part on Shine On You Crazy Diamond sounds like Peter Green:
Gilmour - "It sounds like Peter Green? Thank you (laughs). We try!"
He goes on to describe the songs basis in the blues. Only a brief comment but one that I like to think displays Gilmour's appreciation of Green's playing in his usual reserved and dry manner.
The qoute is taken from Bruno MacDonald's 'Pink Floyd - Through the eyes of...'
This brief appreciative comment from Dave Gilmour seems to be a rare occurance. Maybe peers are a bit mean when it comes to appreciation of one another because of the competition? Maybe the fate of Peter Green is a kind of collective trauma with a lot of british musicians from the sixtees because they were all in the same boat at the time: overworked, doing a lot of drugs and most of them escaped insanity? I don't know....Maybe I am a bit far out on this one

It made me think about this comment about playing with Peter Green from Hjorts book - not from a peer - but from a fellow musician - bassplayer Bruce Thomas who played with Peter Bardens and later in Elvis Costellos band The Attractions. In 1994 he recalls a night (saturday the 16th of August 1969) when Green joined Peter Bardens band on stage at The Marquee: "The guitar playing that I was listening to was no longer a matter of notes, it was pure emotion. It was a matter of whether I could possibly smile any wider or contain any more excitement and joy. I never wanted it to end - and, for a while, it didn't." (....) "If I were forced to pick one musical highpoint from my entire life, then this is it."" (Hjort, p.256)

Ms Moose