View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
. . . Maybe I'm too cynical but my only guess is to put it down to being done by marketing people to peek people's interest, like if they see a volume 1 of something of interest then they get excited at the insinuation of other volumes following but also feeling like they are getting in on something early that could be a big fad and therefore be part of "the in crowd". With the Blue Horizon project, I wonder if CBS had a change of heart in terms of how they thought it would sell better in the future (by doing the "Complete BH Sessions" approach by artist and adopting their Sony Legacy thought process. Granted, this doesn't explain why little previously unreleased material outside of the FM CBHS set came out on the other BH artists CBHS sets (which must exist as did the FM master reels, perhaps they just tried harder to find the FM ones). Not to mention that some were not released at all, such as Martha Velez (as part of that series I mean, which would have had better session notes than the Wounded Bird reissue had) and like you had mentioned about the latter day BH recordings, though to be fair, that might have more to do with those recordings possibly being owned by Universal now (since they control the recordings that were released on Polydor, so CBS can't release them)? Just a thought.

John
thanks, john, for your opinions - you definitely got some points there (nothing to do with cynism at all, as it's simply down to business reasons) . . . and with this you're not too far from my assumptions.

though, as i mentioned already, if the bh story box would've been such a disappointing seller, they wouldn't have put it out once more (regardless that they stripped down the "book" design to a rather poor jewel case outfit - on the contrary: the cheaper, the more profit).

as for martha velez: i think the blue horizon albums front (during the cbs years) seems to be covered pretty well as the "complete (??? - i already came up with that topic in another thread here) blue horizon sessions". the velez lp was only a re-release (previously on decca), so that might explain some possible publishing reasons excluding this stuff from the cbhs series.

and remember "dupree 'n' mcphee - the 1967 blue horizon session". mike vernon reportedly offered these recordings to ace records to release them and thus obviously not having opted for placing 'em under the cbhs moniker.

anyway, there's still proof missing for the actual reasons behind all this. and (apart from these mysteries), quite frankly, i have my doubts that we'll ever be likely to see more blue horizon stuff (unreleased or not) showing up on cd. universal (i'm with you on this, too) doesn't seem to be interested . . . and there's not too much time left until the blue horizon "generation" (so to speak) will be gone. oh, my . . .