Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I wish people wouldn't attribute this quote to Stevie. Talking about menstruation (aside from what she said about menopause) is not even within the realms of something she would say. And I'm not saying that it's bad to talk about menstruation at all. I'm just saying that Stevie is hardly the type who would discuss it with boys in the first place]

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-a...c436d4efaf.htm

By Angela, May 9, 2015 Petition TV

I Bleed And I Vote: Q&A With "Stop Taxing My Period" Petition Activist

Tavi Gevinson once told us, "just be Stevie Nicks," - a piece of advice that I've often thought about, and probably always will. Stevie Nicks once said something that really stuck with me, when she wrote:

"The world teaches [girls] that the way you exist in it is disgusting — you watch boys cringe backward in your dorm room when you talk about your period, blue water pretending to be blood in a maxi pad commercial. It is little things, and it is constant...the reality of your life is impolite to talk about."

Talking about menstruation and the hardships it inherently brings isn't an easy thing to approach - such a conversation has been conditionally suppressed in the same way women strive to conceal their monthly ordeal: tampons stuffed at the bottom of handbags, used pads immediately trashed in sterile bins, products being laden with artificial smells in attempt to hide natural ones.