Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The opening track (and first single) “Carousel” is the only song on the record that is immediately reminiscent of your previous work. But as soon as the bridge kicks in, with those choirgirls so bewitchingly chanting “I thought I heard your voice in the thunder / is the owl casting spells that we’re under?” you’ve immediately set a tone unlike anything you’ve produced before.
I’m glad you noticed that. That was part of the reason why that is the first song. When you get to the bridge it becomes a séance, and this whole record feels like a séance to me. Actually, do you know who placed that song there? Stevie Nicks. She and I have been very close since I toured with her a few years ago and she has had a huge impact on my creative life. She loves this record, and she’s great at sequencing, so I asked if she would do it. She really spent time, she really thought it through, and she put it in the order that it is in. So that’s all Stevie.

Wow. That’s a lot of power to give over to someone else.
It’s a huge job and quite difficult for the person who makes the record to do it. Having distance from the songs after you complete them is so important, but you don’t really want the record company to do it, so it’s tricky.

This record is one of those rare, start-to-finish gems that hits all the right notes and never overstays its welcome, and the sequencing has everything to do with that. So, good job, Stevie!

Yes! Thank you, Stevie. (laughs)

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature...anessa-carlto/
Well done Stevie! Professional sequencer extraodinaire.