View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Ledgie

Delusional? Or just not very smart? You decide. Quotes in the Charlotte Observer about their February 24th show in Charlotte, North Carolina...

“It is, you know, Oscar night, right? You’re all here, but it’s still Oscar night. So since I really don’t know anybody in Sou — South Carolina,” and here Nicks paused for a millisecond. It felt, at least to me, like that millisecond lasted half an hour — and if it actually had, I would have done everything in my power to get a note to her, warning her of her impending mistake. I think she sensed something was off. But it was too late.

You could almost feel everyone in the arena holding their breaths, getting ready to slap their hands against their foreheads (including Finn), as she spit it out:

“So since I really don’t know anybody in Sou — South Carolina, I would just like to say, ‘The OSCAR GOES TO SOUTH CAROLINA!’” She could probably tell immediately that she’d screwed up, since fans weren’t cheering like she’d surely hoped. We all just muttered some form of “OMG” to our dates, in unison. She quickly blurted out “CHARLOTTE!” But now it was way too late.

Finn didn’t know how to save her. And she arguably made things worse by stumbling through an explanation that made practically no sense whatsoever. “North Carolina is in my brain, thank you, because — I think because of the Sturgis Motorcycle Benefit place — big festival, right? That’s like in North Dakota, right? It has nothing to do with this except for the north —”

(Quick side note: The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally takes place in South Dakota.)

“We’re covering everybody,” Finn broke in, forcing some laughter. “It’s great. We’ve just got everyone —”

“We are. We’re at the festival, we’re at the Oscars, we’re everywhere tonight!” Nicks said. “So anyway. OK. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Sometimes, you know, five years of speech communication, it’s like — in college, I just have to...” and she trailed off, saying something I couldn’t make out.

Finn laughed nervously again, and suggested everyone take a deep breath. Everyone took a deep breath.

Last edited by g. fish; 02-28-2019 at 05:48 PM..