View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On a POSITIVE note, what are the best changes in Stevie's songs over the years?

Stand Back sounds better than ever. New version is less keyboard heavy. Drums, guitars, and vocals are great.

Stevie's voice is less deep than twelve or thirteen years ago, her nose sounds less stuffed up than 18 years ago, and her range has broadened since BTM. Who wasn't surprised by the difference between Candlebright & Sorcerer as they were presented back-to-back?

Song lyrics seem to have a good balance between meaningful imagery (for the fans) and clarity (for the critics).

I love the confidence her mature voice sometimes shows. The lines where she throws in a pause rather than belting all parts like in RAL days. Don't cringe, but I love the last part of Silver Girl when she sings "You cannot see her face....unless she lets you" in a different way from the rest of the song.

Landslide sounds great with the stronger vocals. How different from FM Live album! (I used to love that version, but now it pales in comparison.)

There seems to be more attention to album sequencing to support the effect of each song.

The return of the guitar sound to her songs.

Less ballads. I always liked her ballads, but welcome a more Rock-charged pace.

Less of a reliance on duets. Admittedly, she has had more guest vocalists on her solo stuff of late, but mostly they've been female, which is an obvious change in style from Henley, Petty, and Hornsby.

- Jake

Last edited by darklinensuit; 05-30-2003 at 01:42 AM..