Thread: Fake Fur?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Johnny, you don't know if it's fake, just as I don't know if it's real fur. If it is real fur, how do you feel? It seems to me you've skirted the real questions here:

--Is it real fur? If so, what does that say about your idol?
--If it isn't real fur, why wear it and give the appearance you're wearing fur and needlessly risking controversy?
I don't feel that I've skirted anything here... and I also don't see how what I said could come across as a defense of Stevie (if she were indeed wearing a real fur).
The only statement I was trying to make, is that I think it's pretty safe to assume that it was not real. Practically a "given thing," if you will.
And that is why I can't understand why some people are so upset about this, without any true knowledge whether it's real or fake.

I don't think the wearing of faux fur gives the appearance that you condone the killing of animals, nor do I feel that it's inherently risking controversy if you don't come right out and announce it's faux.
So far I haven't heard one single statement in the press from Animal Rights activists, in regards to this appearance. Apparently they know when something is worth getting into a frenzy over.

And if Stevie was wearing a real fur, I would be disappointed... I'd even write a letter to her in regards to the matter... but that's as far as it would go.

I'm the kind of person who does not feel the need to shove my beliefs, values, and morals, down someone else's throat.
I will most definitely speak my mind, and let my feelings known, but I think people are more likely to listen to you, and be open to your opinions, if you don't attack them and brow-beat them.

Oh, and by the way... Stevie is not my "idol."
I can't think of anyone I idolize. I do, however, admire her greatly.
She's made some "mistakes" over the years, but who hasn't? It's not my place to sit in judgement of her, nor is it my place to put her up on some impossible pedestal.
She's a human-being, and the fact that she has successfully battled some pretty powerful demons, and that she's been rich and famous for nearly 30 years now, while remaining courteous and gracious towards her fans, is something worth admiring, in my book.
Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I'm pretty sure all the people who say they don't care about she was wearing would have something to say if she showed up in thong and pasties. No one wants to address that question, which tells me I may be on to something.
Not to sound snippy, because I really don't mean it that way, but I just figured your comment was so preposterous it didn't warrant a response.
I'm actually surprised to hear that you genuinely expected one.

(And for the record, I don't kill spiders or any other insects either.)