View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

I’m a big fan of Stevie's post The Dance solo work.

Trouble in Shangri-La is a solid return to form. Stevie’s vocals are finally out of their Klonopin haze. The album suffers a bit from too many producers and too many outside writers.

Say You Will was such a disappointment. I love all the demos, but the final versions pale in comparison. I prefer a more live sound and harmonies, so all the extra noises and distorted voices are just not for me. Smile at You and Thrown Down had all the energy sucked out of them and Goodbye Baby and Not Make Believe lost all their haunting beauty and were just lots of noise.

In Your Dreams is great. Remove Soldier’s Angel and Cheaper Than Free and it equals Bella Donna and Wild Heart for me. Dave Stewart does a great job of mixing different musical styles but keeping them sounding like Stevie.

24 Karat Gold is just below In Your Dreams. Unlike Say Your Will, the strongest demos were kept pretty much the same, the ok demos were beefed up a bit and the truly bad demo (Mabel Normand) was completely revamped. I don’t care and Carousel drag the album down for me.

Here is my ten songs in no particular order:

If You Ever Did Believe – Really thought this should have had more success. One of Stevie’s strongest choruses
Trouble in Shangri-La – Most inspired Stevie has sounded since Wild Heart
Planets of the Universe (Extended) – Really liked John Shanks work on TISL
Wide Sargasso Sea – A bit of a musical departure for Stevie, but it still feels very much like her
Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream) – In my top 5 of all time.
Mabel Normand – Stevie was able to channel her crazy Rock A Little persona on this
24 Karat Gold – Sounds like classic Mac
All The Beautiful Worlds - Sounds like classic Stevie
You May Be the One – Stevie’s emotions really shine through on this one
Destiny Rules - Her only Say You Will song that didn’t get destroyed by over-production

Honorable Mentions:

The Dealer – a better vocal would have moved it onto the list
Running Through the Garden – The cheesy keyboard keeps it off my list as well
Thrown Down (Wall of Sound) – Would have made the list if it was officially released. The Say You Will version just plods along without any passion