View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But Tusk doesn't sound like a strong band album in many songs. Not like the White and Rumours albums. There are many "solo" songs from Lindsey, and there are songs where you can't listen Chris, Stevie or Lindsey doing harmonies. At Storms I can listen Lindsey, but not Chris. Maybe I'm wrong and she is there at harmonies but it's almost inperceptible, it's not like her voice in Dreams. Or Stevie in Oh Daddy. I'm not saying everybody has to sing in all songs but their presence should be noticeable in enough songs to feel it's a band album and not a collage of songs.

So I can't say I feel Tusk like a strong, cohesive album. There are lot of Lindsey solo works in Tusk, for example, and that's described in Mick's book:

"All right, Lindsey," I finally had to say. "Where is this gonna end? What do you want? What's the compromise going to be?" The usually reticent Mr. Buckingham had a ready answer. "What I want to do is some serious recording at home. Sometimes I'm at the studio and I can't quite bridge the gap between the sounds I'm hearing in my head and the music I'm actually able to get on tape. Other times I'd like to play some of the other parts myself, like drums or the bass line, but I feel too intimidated to ask you and John to let me. It boils down to this I want to do some of the work at home."
The result was that some of Lindsey's things were recorded in his basement at home. Some of the rhythm tracks are Lindsey banging on shoeboxes. Some of the vocals were overdubbed on his hands and knees in his bathroom. I understood what Lindsey was going through, but neither John nor Chris really appreciated this method. It was felt that this kind of segregation away from the caldron of traditional Fleetwood Mac group creativity in the studio was . . . unhealthy. Lindsey himself later speculated that he might have been selfish. On the other hand, he continued to labor in the studio as part of our regular production team.

That doesn't sound to me like a perfect album. Not a perfect band album at least.

Last edited by Villavic; 08-21-2012 at 01:46 PM..