View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
THD -
Memory does play tricks on us - The Pop Proms in April of 1970 were actually a week long set of shows running from Monday to Saturday, and the promoter put together a wildly eclectic line-up of acts, both established and new, for each of the nights.
(TE)
On the bill with Fleetwood Mac on Friday April 24th were Mighty Baby and Hookfoot.
(TE)
The show is available for download at : www.wolfgangsvault.com

The tape reveals that the inflatable phallus was deployed at the end of the opening number, 'Black Magic Woman' -

I don't understand why they wouldn't have waited until a number such as 'Rattlesnake Shake' or the encore numbers, when everyone was already excited to push the audience over the top
?
My memory is certainlty not infallible (perhas that should be my memory is not inphallible in this case (Lucky I didn't say my phallus was unmemorable !)

Howerver The only time I've ever seen concerts in the Roundhouse they were Fleetwood Mac concerts Despite the published listings, I definitely saw Elton at the Roundhouse, therefore it MUST have been at one of these Fleetwood Mac gigs I can't explain it but it did happen ! Similary Nico Now I'm well aware that in the scheme of things, whether Elton appeared or not, doesn't have much releveance to FM own performance, but it reflects the credibility of my memories But the one thing I am aware about my memory is that it does play tricks with the order of events(I wish so much that I'd kept a diary at this time but didn't do so untill1983 ,and when I look back I'm shocked by what I've forgotten ,and how an event I thought happened before another ,actually happened months after it !

I don't remember anything about Mighty Baby,but it's certainly possible I saw them.

I think the inflatable was up there before they began .It may have been up there for the whole concert(ie while the support acts were on) after all I don't think it could be instantly inflated ,so it would have to have been moved into position( and it was huge) ,or uncovered suddenly I,too, think it would have been far more apt for it to have been revealed for Rattlesnake Shake Perhaps this is an argument for the fact that it couldn't be suddenly revealed ,and they would have liked to have it coincide with this number ,but couldn't co-ordinate it for these reasons

So I would speculate that it had been up there all the time, but some one started waggling it about at the end of BlackMagic Woman -hence Peter's comments on the Wolfgangs vault recordings (Ive listened to these carefully and thanks Brooklyn Blue for that !)

I speculate that if these recording came from Dinkie Dawson then, when he listened to them, prior to writing his memoir , to remind himself of what happened, he interpreted wrongly ,Peter's comments to mean that the inflatable was revealed at that point

Finally ,listening too the recordings was great I do remember Peter complaing about snappers ,but not that he went on so long about it !
I remember John Mc Vie telling photographers to stop at one concert somewhere , and making some sort of semi serious threat like "and you know what will happen to you if you dont !" Also ,one time Mc Vie made some announcement to" be careful 'cause we've heard that the Chelsea Drugs Squad were around (not at these Rouncdhouse concerts )

Last edited by THD; 10-06-2011 at 07:58 AM..