View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Good points made by all

Everyone who contributed to this thread has made at least one good point, even if they're not all in perfect agreement. After all, there's only so much we know.

The last time I saw PG in person was during the early 80's, so yes it has been a while. Saw him twice during that time (and yes I am aware of Pete's relapse shortly thereafter). Each time it damn near ripped my heart out. Not because I didn't know the storyline, or because I set my expectations too high. It's just I couldn't put the most basic points together, or tell if Peter even wanted to be there. This didn't make me think less of the man, as he had already achieved icon status, something most artists can only dream of. But it did leave me with a lot more questions than answers, starting with: was he was doing this for others, or were others were doing this for him?

I think there is a general consensus that Greenie did considerably better later, and may still be doing pretty good as we speak. I've seen selected video clips that seem to bear this out. If he is enjoying himself, then few things matter more, as has been stated. But even into the nineties, I've seen footage and read interviews where he doesn't seem to be fully in prime time. Maybe that, weighed against what I witnessed earlier, helps create the end image that I'm no longer certain what to expect (aka WYSIWYG). Peter does have a lot of pride; after all, he made his name as a trailblazer and top notch blues guitarist. But I'd be a lot more comfortable knowing he isn't being used or played, and this suspicion was compounded when I saw PG walk away from the stage but once again in recent years after many things seemed to be going his way. Only this time, it wasn't exit stage left as before, but back into retirement.

Whether this was from burnout, or a lack of motivation, or his medication(s) getting in the way, I'm not sure. But even with his resurgence in the Splinter Group, the fact that that unit released nine albums in less than that many years sort of hints of a money grab to me. And if there is one thing we ALL know, Peter isn't into green manalishi! I don't mean to cast aspersions recklessly, as those closest around him have also clearly helped him. In fairness, I suppose this remains a two way street in a number of ways, and any of those profiting off of his name and talent at this point may deem it to be perfectly fair and justifiable, since they comprise his inner circle and support arm, and do what they can to keep him in good stead. C'est la vie.

As for his newfangled style, I agree with many here that Peter has always understood, clearer and more poignantly than most, that less is often more. Then again, this same approach goes back to his Mayall and Mac days too, though things often ramped to more fiery levels in those supercharged days. That's not to say I don't appreciate the riff graffiti of Alvin Lee, or the clear-as-bell tones of Eric Johnson, or the acoustic fretwork of Tommy Emmanuel, or the lit fuse of Stevie Ray Vaughan now and again. But there is also clearly a time and place for the tasteful paucity of a Peter Green, or syncopated phrasing of a Harvey Mandel. In that regard, to each their own as it's all good.

Last edited by snoot; 01-15-2009 at 07:19 AM..