View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise5 View Post
Seems pretty childish of Tom Petty to feel like he was betrayed after Stevie had a big hit with SDMHA. He didn't want the song on his album, and he was willing to record it with Stevie for Bella Donna, so why the sour grapes?
Not really when you think about it and hear the full interview. Jimmy admits he handled the situation wrong. It was not like Jimmy or Stevie were out shopping for a single. Jimmy came right for this song. Go back in time. Its spring 1981 and Tom Petty releases Hard Promises....the follow up to the smash Damn the Torpedoes. Jimmy was working on both albums. In less than 2 months Bella Donna is released and eclipses Hard Promises. Tom sees Hard Promises a success but nowhere near the success of his prior album. How could he not think WHAT IF SDMHA was the lead off his album. Its not that Tom did not like the song. Tom and Jimmy shelved it and did not include it on Hard Promises. Its very possible it could have been on the next Petty release. Its the way Jimmy went about it that rubbed Tom the wrong way. Give me the song, record it for Stevie...great thanks. Jealous some? Maybe. But Jimmy would not have regrets if it was pure jealousy. There was enormous pressure on Jimmy to make sure Bella Donna was a success. So I think Tom felt his good song was taken from him for the wrong reason. Its all water under the bridge now but back in 1981 when Bella Donna eclipsed Hard Promises and Tom's album was not as successful as his prior one, his song lands in the top 3 for Stevie Nicks, I can feel the sting. These albums were charting at the exact same time. I think Tom felt betrayed. If your own producer thought it was such a hit song, why did he not persist it go on your own album?

Here is the interview. Iovine interview starts at approx. 1:50:00 and Stevie starts at 2:29:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pKyc8IDvI

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-27-2017 at 05:15 PM..