Thread: Albatross
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never heard this Chuck Berry track before, but it is a revellation to me ! I think there is no doubt it influenced the composing of Albatross, but there is no way Albatross is a rip off of this ,as has been suggested in some of the You tube comments I think Peter must have heard this (in his elder brothers record collection ?) and a few years later, when he was composing Albatross the sort of feel of that first verse of the Berry song came into his mind But harmonically Albatross is very different- resolving on Maj 7th chord - nothing like that in the Berry tune and very diatonic harmony E maj and Dm (I and II of the key ) only - so no blues format there but the feel and the beat and the slide guitar influences are all there in Deep Feeling But then that is what original composition is isn't it?- taking several influences that collide in your mind to make something a bit different !

So I'm essentially agreeing 100% with BklynBlue(or BB as I feel I should refer to him ) ) and agree with him that though Peter didn't record any Chuck Berry song, it's inconcievable that he was unaware of Chuck Berry -is there any guitar player who doesnt start of playing at least something by Chuck ,even if it's second hand via The Beatles or The Stones ?

Last edited by THD; 09-30-2015 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Added added the afterthought about agreeing with BKLYN BLUE