Thread: Albatross
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Red Dirt Report (Oklahoma)]

http://www.reddirtreport.com/dust-de...eams/neck-down

Andrew W. Griffin | September 19, 2015

This got me to thinking about a Dust Devil Dreams post I made back in May titled “Sleepwalk (Gnik nus).” I talk about the 1968 Fleetwood Mac song “Albatross” (released the year BTTF's Marty McFly was born) and how it was inspired by the Summer of ’59 instrumental hit by Santo & Johnny – “Sleep Walk.” A song the brothers Santo and Johnny wrote after having an "idea" at 2 in the morning. The song is used in 12 Monkeys, as you may recall.

That’s because Fleetwood Mac’s Peter Green, their guitarist at the time, was inspired by “Sleep Walk” to create “Albatross,” another dreamy instrumental.

As I wrote at the time: “As for the inspiration for “Sleep Walk,” it was recognized as a tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper, who died in a plane crash earlier in the year (Feb. 1959) near Clear Lake, Iowa. Twelve years later, folk musician Don McLean would score a major hit with “American Pie,” which talks about ‘the day the music died,’ the day those three early rock musicians died in that plane crash in a snow-covered field. Perhaps Buddy Holly’s ghost is trying to remind us of something.”