View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The story of Whenever I Call You Friend

I guess Kenny Loggins and Melissa Manchester used to see each other at award shows all the time, so they decided to get together and write a song. The song ended up being Whenever I Call You Friend. Melissa would later say that Kenny wanted to record it with Stevie because she was the hottest female artist at the time. Melissa would later do her own more subdued version, but it would not become popular.

Anyway, Kenny credited Stevie with the song as a Duet on the album, but when he released the single he didn't put her name on it. In effect, he didn't give her duet credit her for the single. So even though, Stevie sings half the song and the song was a top #5 smash, she never got any credit for it in the record books. It is one of the biggest oddities in chart history I think. Whenever I Call You Friend was Kenny's first solo hit; Stevie had the bigger name and helped get that song played. Disc Jockeys called her the harmony vocal. Huh? The song is definite duet, which is the way it is credited on his album Nightwatch. Definitely not fair and needs to be set right.