View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Whoa there, Steve-o. Studio work is only a PART of Rick's career...to label him as a "studio musician" is wrong.
Oh, I know. I wasn't using that as an insult. The beauty of guys like Rick is that they play for the situation. But here's how I see what went wrong with the whole "Behind The Mask" thing. The musical direction of Fleetwood Mac traditionally has been set by the guitarist. Mick, John, Chris, and Stevie really only had a vague notion of what they wanted from Billy and Rick. Billy and Rick were too into being team players that they didn't appear to be as comfortable making suggestions for fear of stepping on the "legends" toes. Neither were especially assertive. They weren't of the mind set that they had to carve their own path. I'm sure there were a lot of great songs from Billy and Rick that never officially saw the light of day. Lindsey, by contrast, made a point to have only the "Rumours" band's material be in the set (save for "Oh Well") by the middle of the "Rumours" tour. And, that's the difference.

THE Stephen Hopkins