View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Gift Of Screws doesn't count cos it's not technically an album. Half of it is now Say You Will, and even if it wasn't no one really knows what would have made it on that album anyway...
What are you anyway, the official questionnaire police?

It is an album because like with modern cds, you can program the tracklisting the way you want it to be and you can also leave stuff out. You just have more choices. It's a puzzle of an album.

The anal retentive LB fan department continues here and states that:

- only "Murrow", "Miranda", "Red Rover", "Come" and "Say Goodbye" are Gift Of Screws songs; there were earlier released versions of "Steal Your Heart Away" and "Bleed To Love Her"; "Peacekeeper" and "WTWCT" were not a part of the GOS leak and thus were not part of it until proven otherwise.

- if you want to argue that "SYHA" and "BTLH" are GOS songs, it would still be just 7 tracks out of 22 on SYW, making it a tad less than THIRD of the overall amount of songs.

Got that? And I am counting the album because it is easily available and has as much work put into it as anything else Lindsey has ever done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
But Gift of Screws is your fave solo-album.
It is my favourite LB solo album because of the general diversity, pointing to everything he's done before and to some semi-new things as well, not because "the groove is unbeatable, man".

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
So screw them arguments defending mechanical rythmsections because the energy is coming from other areas. Use this rythmsection particularly when the energy is coming from other areas, too! Every other rythmsection in the world will have a conflict with the "other energies". But NOT this one!
I don't mind the mechanical rhythm section of OOTC at all. I think it suits the songs just fine and I daresay that something would be seriously lost if a real rhythm section was to be used on all of them. The same goes to Tusk. The focus is on the guitars & other treatments, not on the band interplay. If you still think the rhythm section is the thing that caused the commercial failure of the album then . I think a lot of the listeners, especially the target group that Lindsey is supposed to be bowing to, do not care about that at all.

And to add to Sharon's comments in another thread about "perfection being overrated" when it comes to this debate: is it not striving for perfection when Lindsey demands Mick and John to do dozens of takes up to the point where the gentlemen start complaining?

I don't need a real rhythm section for OOTC, just like I don't need it for Suicide's tracks, The Beach Boys' Love You, Can's "Peking O" etc. There's a lot of material where it just wouldn't be appropriate. "Every machine has a humanizing function", after all.

Socialize with others if you may, I will just talk to the computer all day long.

Signature comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Lindsey whispers: "Stevie, I think you're awesome and I give you FULL credit for your songs. Anyone who says different is a fool."
Lindsey adds: "Now can I sleep with you, you FOOS?"

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up