View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I cannot believe that you think Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey had not quit in 1987. Record companies always put their biggest hits or lead off singles first track side two in the mid to late 80s.
Steve didn’t say Little Lies would have tanked if Lindsey hadn’t quit.

I have no idea if record companies always put the biggest hits or lead off singles as the first track on side two or not back in the 1980s. But I do question that. I thought FM and more specifically Lindsey was the one who sequenced the album, not the record company. By the same token, I thought the record company had more of a voice in which songs would be chosen to be singles. If Lindsey was the one who sequenced the album, than the record company wasn’t the one who put the singles where they were on the album.

I think Big Love was a fabulous choice for a lead single. They didn’t release it first because Lindsey didn’t get a single from Mirage, they released it because it was catchy and a little edgy but not too edgy. The song got people talking for tons of reasons- the grunts, who sang on it, cool video, etc. Little Lies was a great third single because it helpd the album rebound after Seven Wonders only made the top 20- not terrible, but it way underperformed.

I do agree that now, in hindsight, Little Lies and Christine in general is why Tango is so well regarded, but back in 1987, Big Love and Lindsey were given the credit.