View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
When I joined The Ledge in 2007 there were cliques and there were many members who were not in a clique as well. I am always one to embrace new Ledgies because I want everyone to feel like a part of the group. I have been friendly to every Ledgie on this site and several of them were venomous to me from the word go.
When I joined the Ledge, I found the atmosphere very toxic, so after one or two posts, I moved over to FMLegacy and didn't return for four years. Four years later . . . as Stevie would say.

Cliques are fine, when you are rejoicing in each other and your shared interests, but when you start mocking those you consider to be on the outside and buoying your own status and sense of togetherness by distinguishing yourselves from them in a negative way, then it's not so cute.
I think Facebook is a great place for that kind of thing. I find the exodus from The Ledge to FB inevitable. It's just a sign of the technology and the times we live in and I don't try to fight it, because I think everyone should have a place where they can post whatever they want to or about whomever they want, without fear of the response you'll get here when you do that.

My philosophy, on the Ledge, doesn't necessarily foster relationships among posters, because I don't believe in labeling other users. If you say something about someone else that doesn't comport with their own self- view, they are very likely to mind and they're going to tell you so. So, unless it's a pal of yours and you're joking around (as you and Viv sometimes do) I always like to talk about the band members and not about each other.

Michele