View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's really interesting to read all of these interpretations ... I don't have enough knowledge of Lindsey's romantic history to offer one of my own, but here are some of my own reflections on the song as a whole....

I first became a Mac fan with Say You Will ... Peacekeeper was first and the rest followed. But the one song I didn't like for a very long time was Come. I loved the start of it, rewally gentle and slow, and the lyrics were brilliant, but when the heavy guitar kicked in in the chorus I stopped listening. I just didn't like it that much, and I didn't pay it much heed again until that killer performance on Live in Boston.
I watched it in awe, and it really touched me in a very particular way. I don't know what it was -- maybe just a different prespective, maybe the hand gestures, maybe something else - I don't know. I sat for half an hour with the song on a loop and wrote a very personal short story dealing with self harm. It was centred on a fifteen year old girl [whom I suppose I saw as myself] and an older guy, whom I always visualised in my head as Lindsey. They were in love but their psychological ... problems, I guess, had come between them and everyone else. So the girl was leaving, and they'd never see each other again, but somehow he couldn't express his emotion at this. Maybe the suppressed or sarcastic emotion in the song was influential on that aspect of his character.
That was about five months ago, and I've forgotten most of what went on in my head as I wrote it ... but there were definite elements of his performance that seeped into the story. If they didn't physically appear, they were there in my head while I wrote it.
The story was called 'Christine' after the principal character, but it's nothing to do with Christine McVie ... I often questioned why I called her that. It was just the name that stood out in my mind.

For that reason, 'Come' will always be a very special song to me. I think of it not as funny, but as vicious and sarcastic, and a bit sinister in places.

[QUOTE=DownOnRodeo]
How does Lindsey feel for 'sweet darling'?
~ mocking?
~ yearning for?
~ angry?
~ jealous?
~ other

I also agree with all of these, it's as if he hasn't quite sorted it out in his own head yet. I think of it as if he's waited a while after the break-up of a relationship, but not very long, so the wounds are still raw, as it were.