View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[B
Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac [/B]is still an incredible guitar player but even the most diehard Mac fan would have to admit his voice is gone (and the voice of Stevie Nicks is only marginally better). Is it better to see Buckingham and Nicks struggle to sing notes they can't hit nearly 40 years later or to see a tribute band reproduce the songs note perfect, just the way they did it on Rumours?

This is about not just art but business, of course. Fleetwood Mac charged hundreds of dollars per ticket to see the classic Rumours lineup reunited on its recent North American tour. According to Pollstar, those 56 shows brought in gross revenues of $92 million. Fans have answered with their wallets.
This kind of thing annoys me. I don't go to a Fleetwood Mac gig expecting to be transported back in a TARDIS to 1977. I know that Stevie and Lindsey's voices have lost a lot of their range.. their timbres are decidedly different.. Christine's occasional vocal flubs are to be expected but we understand this, accept it, and embrace it. We're getting older, too .These people are aged 65 to 72. They still perform credibly and with passion and have an audience that overwhelmingly goes home happy to have been in their company for two and a half hours...

I'm seeing these people now and that's what great about it. If they're still performing just for the money, they're hiding their motivation well enough for me. They still play and sing every note as if their lives depend on it.