Thread: Getting Old...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Getting Old...

So as i approach another birthday i have been thinking about growing old. I still feel like a teenager and people still treat me like one but i have begun to notice a few lines around my eyes and i have found 5 grey hairs so far. I find that my insurance agent treats me like a regular adult and wants to chit chat about the weather whenever i go in for a change in my policy... one of those was recently- even though i don't turn 25 for a few more weeks they still are giving me the 25 and older rate for this policy period (that's awesome actually because my car's almost paid off, too... so my car expenses are going down $200 a month!!) i asked about a good student discount and they said i'm too old for it. i wanted to put my 13 yr old jeep on Pimp My Ride (it's really not as bad as some of those cars but i thought if i dirtied it up a bit they'd make it look totally new for me) but i found out that I'm too old. yes, i no longer am included in Mtv's target audience. Tonight when i did my checkout at the bar where i cocktail, i realized that the manager doing my checkout is a year and a week younger than i am. i could have had her job- but i didn't want it- and as a result i feel like some washed- up old loser.

I know that age is really only a state of mind and i totally believe it. I consider myself a kid still, but all around me, more often, i am reminded that i am not getting any younger and people are treating me like a normal adult. People are calling me "ma'am" more and more... store employees don't follow me around anymore (remember how annoying that was guys? those dorks thinking that just because you are young that you are going to shoplift... gawd that got on my nerves)

i don't know... do you guys think a quarter- life crisis exists? so many people i know are getting real jobs and getting married, and pregnancies are no longer a scary unwanted thing. if i get one more invitation to a wedding shower or a baby shower i think i am going to scream.

i think being a 20- something sucks. time to go watch Reality Bites