View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Her Tusk songs are great but to me Angel is by far the weakest in terms of production, like they just gave up and hammered away at a Hammond organ with overpowering bass, although the vocal is powerful. To me the sound of Angel is a depressing preview of her early solo work. Good songs and vocals diminished by unimaginative production.
I see what you mean tbh although I do still like the song, I think it's just the fun vibe of it. I like Stevie's first solo album a lot and maybe half of her second but even then I also have always thought the production just didn't have that something special that was in her FM work. It was still good but there was a missing quality. If you listen to all of Bella Donna and then listen to Gypsy recorded just one year later, that becomes so obvious. What's in Gypsy is nowhere on Bella Donna or Wild Heart. And her later solo albums had terrible production. I know some people like them but for me, yikes. Her songwriting style and voice had changed yes and that 80s production was a big thing yes, but even on Tango in the Night, WISYA which is overall a questionable song that many people think is horrible (although I like it) still has gorgeous music. Can't really say the same about anything on RAL or TOSOTM.