View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My opinion is that Christine isn’t of any performance value anymore onstage. It isn’t an on-night or an off-night matter, either. She is at a point where her musical skills are permanently compromised by her stage of life. Thoughts?
I think you're right. Her voice being the main thing that just isn't there anymore. In the studio is one thing, but on stage, even with backing vocalists and piped in harmonies, it's just consistently noticeable. Then there was her skills on the keys - there were weird moments at the beginning of the 2014-15 tour where she was pressing wrong buttons or looking a bit lost with her equipment. Songs like Hold Me on the BuckVie tour where she barely looked to even be playing at all. But that being said, I just watched a 2018 performance of Tell Me All The Things You Do and she was going to town.

I think the reality is, she 'retired' during the absolute worst years that she could have. I don't begrudge her decision and maybe she did what she had to do, but being out of commission from the ages of 55 to 70 wasn't particularly good as far as being able to actively tour at 75, 80. It's hard to be a recluse at those ages and then try to come back in your 70's. She wasn't staying loose and performing on stage during those years at all. I love that she came back. I loved that 2014 show in Pittsburgh. I love Chris in Fleetwood Mac - she is the balance needed between the other two songwriters. But, it's hard to imagine, in a post-Covid world, seeing her as an active touring member of a band like Fleetwood Mac.

The rest of them aren't perfect, and that includes lying Mick and loony toon Stevie, but they kept going and kept active during those later years in their lives and I could absolute see Lindsey, Mick, and Stevie out touring after the pandemic. I just struggle to see the McVie's actually doing it - on a big scale.