View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I am quite fascinated by the different feelings evoked in me by the final album cut and the rougher alternate version of this song.

I'm not a musician so its difficult to express what I mean...
the alternate version is obviously closer to how the song was originally intended. It seems to have a different emphasis on the title line- 'Think about me'. It's delivered in no uncertain terms- have more consideration for me, think about my feelings. This reflects the the rest of lyrics much more in a way.
Whereas by the time they'd reached the final version the emphasis of the title line seems to have softened and become more drawn out- rather than being 'confrontational' it's more; have me in your thoughts, whatever you're doing- keep me in mind. This what makes it interesting when you subsequently look deeply at the biting lyrics.

It's interesting how a slight change in the phrasing can have a big effect on the tone of a song.
Agreed. That slight change in phrasing does make a difference. But so does the double-tracking of her voice, which makes her sound softer and poppier in the verses, whereas singing without studio effects in the original take, her tone is more immediate and suggestive of attitude.