View Single Post
Old 08-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The only reason I suggested the brits "Go your own way" was to keep the 1997 era fans happy with more than one recording from this time frame (that is, if it turns out that the Dance stuff is voted off) but if everyone wants the Rosebud version instead then they can vote that way. I just understood that most people wanted equal representation from equal Rumours era line ups (i.e. Rumours, Mirage, etc.) and the 1997 reunion time frame does seem to be thought of as one such time hence the reason if that version was used coupled with "Don't stop" from that show then there would at least be two from '97 (as the Rumours time frame is covered with a handfull (more than three anyways) of other songs (this is taken into account even if the Rosebud "Go your own way" was replaced with the brits one).

I agree that Peter Green is well represented on "The early years" however this particular great clip of "Oh well" was left off of there for some reason and as many feel as though this collection should go chronologically "through the years" if we have this clip at our disposal to represent that era, we should use it.

Using this and "In the back of my mind" to represent the great writing talents of Mr. Burnette for the Post BN time frame does not mean that Lindsey "disappears" there would still be plenty of Lindsey and Stevie and all of the "acceptable" bunch to supposedly keep this "commercial", but as it was stated that we are "all making compromises" then, for those who like all (or just other) eras of FM, (yes, these people do exist) surely one song from each wouldn't be the end of the world just as those of us who didn't want duplication of Mirage tape /Tusk doc stuff on here, and chopping into concerts and only using parts of shows like Midnight Special, Rosebud, etc. have reluctantly agreed to go along with the ideas of so far.

Remember that this is solely going to be distributed through this website, it is not going to be at every corner Best Buy so I don't know how "casual" the fans that are thought to be that will be buying these items but they can't be that casual that they don't have The Dance already. I've already said that "Silver springs" would be the one to leave on from The Dance if something does have to stay on this collection from there (once again, I know it sounds like I'm being selfish but this would be for those who want as many "chart hits" on here (as we have many "crowds" to please here and it seems like only some are getting their wishes so far) so this would seem the obvious choice from the dance for those people).

One could argue that if Peter Green is "well represented" on the "early years" DVD then one could say that The Dance stuff is "well represented" on the Dance DVD. So this would be redundant just as "Albatross" is as it's on the "Early years" DVD as well so why would you want to buy it again on a disc? Please consider "Oh well" if people do happen to think that at least one oldie should be on there that is, if we are true "Fleetwood Mac" fans (not just Stevie, not just Lindsey) all giving a little somthing here and there then this is impossible to be a hardship of any description. After all, this is not a "Stevie Nicks DVD" or a "Lindsey Buckingham DVD", it is a "Fleetwood Mac DVD". There were 16 members in the band and (as much as I would like to represent people like Rick, songwriting wise) many sadly can't be represented as it is because of lack of footage but to say "well, we know for a fact that everyone who buys this only wants footage of the BN lineup so we are only going to use that footage and it doesn't matter about the rest of the members even though we do have a couple of short snipets that could be thrown in and not take too much time to "nod" to those members and lineups, we're not going to use those clips. We've decided that all Mac fans only care about these five members so we're not going to include footage from any other members. We're only representing these 5 members and that's it". Oh but we will "nod" to the post Green pre BN days with "Why" & "Station man" because those clips from the '75 show have BN so that changes everything and that therefore makes it all alright, see how nice we are being about that". This is not fair to other great band members. If these people who only listen to BN era Mac gave the other members and band line ups half a chance they would see this as a valid point. How are these members going to get half a chance if people vote off the small contribution to the proceedings that they might possibly have of these small clips? Those who have seen those british band docs like FM at 21 and The story of FM know how great the "Oh well" clip is (and how short it is too) and to have it on DVD uninterrupted would really be fascinating as well as the Burnette tune, OK so the "In the back of my mind" video isn't exactly the Mona Lisa in the art world of videos and doesn't show the band members too much. This is once again to try to keep things as "even" as possible in terms of trying to give the writers a fair chance. As it is one for Burnette, one for Green and six or seven a piece for Stevie & Lindsey (probably more I've lost count now with all of this goings on now) hardly sounds too "even" to me yet this still seems to present some kind of problem. Also, for those of us voted off on wanting "complete" band music videos, the inclusion of the "In the back of my mind" video to this collection would still not make it complete but would help in some sad small way to getting as many of the videos as possible if nothing else.

I know from everything I've been saying on all of this all along it sounds like I haven't given in to anything but I know and God knows that I've given into many ideas along the way on this and I'm fighting for the smallest of things here that may make some bit of sense to me in the end. I just hope that something will go my way for once on this thing.

Please remember, this is just being sold through the site, it needs popular stuff but it needs stuff that will make true fans happy even more. This, if it ever happens, will be for our benefits, it's not going to rip up the charts at K-Mart so we might as well make it as useful to our collections as possible.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-26-2001 at 06:48 PM.