View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
They all had their geeky "let's rock" faces on the whole time. It was patent & see-through, the sort of thing that drives hip rock critics like me & Greil Marcus to belly right up to the bar. It was shocking. The band was adult contemporary all of a sudden. It was at that point that I decided I may as well listen to Emanuel Feuermann. Fleetwood Mac was done flaying the skin off the Booboisie.

And then it began to occur to me: Fleetwood Mac is so silly & stupid, like Pop Rocks at a kid's birthday party at Farrell's, with the volcano surprise ice cream sundae being lit up & served to a worried youngster, who can't drive himself home because he's only 7, & his mom & dad are trying to punish him for being a year older than he was last year, so they hide the cards & checks he gets from his Aunts Sharon & Lois & finally give those to the poor, disillusioned kid three days after his birthday, after the pain has passed & has been replaced by a dull, thudding no-nonsense approach to life & the arts, whether it be a torn-up old Mary Poppins LP that's been through the ringer, yellowing with antiquity, & smelling of pasteboard & starched milk on the upper lips of pals at grade school, or of the latest hep-scat DVD from Criterion with so much crap in the way of commentary & extras on it that you can't even remember why you bought the damn thing in the first place.

Anyway, that's what Fleetwood Mac became to me.

Good Lord give me one of those vicoden.