View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
yes, sorry, it was dennis at the house. and as you say, he did the same lsd and didn't suffer any ill effects. Some people should never take lsd, while others apparently can handle it. But the parallell with syd barret is interesting, whereas he could be termed an "acid casualty", peter is not, at least not in the same sense.
The skip spence album is called "oar", i believe. Hailed as a classic by some critics, has anyone haerd it?
d- i have 'oar'. in some ways it is very similar to the first barrett solo lp, 'the madcap laughs' in that it is strange, spare, out of its time, and not produced. if anything it is spacier that 'ml'. but it is different in that barrett's was recorded over a serious of sessions of more than a year with different producers and pieced together with little input from syd. skip's was done entirely by himself. he played all the instruments, produced and it was recorded in a matter of days. there is nothing like it. but , knowing what was going on when it was recorded, immediately after, and some of what eventually happened to skip, i have trouble listening to it all the way through without getting completely wiped out.

there is an interesting skip tribute (that i do not have) where the whole oar album is remade by fans (e.g., robert plant (a huge moby grape and champion of skip), tom waits, beck) who you'd never guess were influenced by someone ultimately so obscure and lost.

zero