Thread: Katrina
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FEMA's turning down help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Why aren't all 50 states coming together to send airplanes, buses, food, water (most important, IMO), clothing, medicine, etc? There are 50 got dang states and they all have bus lines, airlines, etc...there should be planes going in and out of NO and MS 24/7 right now. There should be people filling sand bags or making cement holders to help close those levees, there should be companies who pump water out helping, they could drop water from giant crates from airplanes or helicopters if they are afraid of getting shot. There are also countless countries on our side who have pledged to help "in any way we can." SEND WATER, FOOD, MEDS, MONEY, AIRPLANES, ETC!!!!!

I just do not understand this at all.

My mom alerted me to this... a big story in Chicago. What the hell is wrong with these people?! Take the g*dd*mned help!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Daley 'shocked' at federal snub of offers to help

Tribune staff reports
Published September 2, 2005, 2:44 PM CDT

Frustration about the federal response to Hurricane Katrina has reached Chicago City Hall, as Mayor Richard Daley today noted a tepid response by federal officials to the city's offers of disaster aid.

The city is willing to send hundreds of personnel, including firefighters and police, and dozens of vehicles to assist on the storm-battered Gulf Coast, but so far the Federal Emergency Management Agency has requested only a single tank truck, Daley said.

"I was shocked," he said.

"We are ready to provide considerably more help than they have requested," the mayor said, barely able to contain his anger during a City Hall news conference. "We are just waiting for the call."

The mayor's remarks came at the announcement of a city-sponsored "Chicago Helps Fund," which will accept donations from citizens for the hurricane relief effort.

"The people we see suffering on television are our brothers and sisters," Daley said. "It's incumbent on all of us, as American citizens and fellow human beings, to do our part to help them through this terrible tragedy."

Donations to the Chicago Helps Fund can be made by cash or check at any J.P. Morgan Bank One branch or by sending a check to Chicago Helps, 38891 Eagle Way, Chicago IL 60678-1338. A toll-free telephone number will be announced later for those wishing to donate by credit card.

Additionally, this weekend, Chicago firefighters will "pass the boot" at major intersections, and donations will be requested during the Chicago Jazz Festival in Grant Park, Daley said.

Also, the Chicago Football Classic on Saturday will donate a portion of its proceeds to the relief effort. And the Department on Aging is sending a "Meals on Wheels" truck to the Gulf Coast region with food, blankets and other necessities for seniors.

But the city is prepared to do far more, Daley said.

Even before the storm hit the Gulf Coast on Monday, he said, the city's Office of Emergency Management and Communications had contacted emergency response agencies in Illinois and Washington.

In the event of a disaster, the city offered to send 44 Chicago Fire Department rescue and medical personnel and their gear, more than 100 Chicago police officers, 140 Streets and Sanitation, 146 Public Health and 8 Human Services workers, and a fleet of vehicles including 29 trucks, two boats and a mobile clinic.

"So far FEMA has requested only one piece of equipment {ndash} a tank truck to support the Illinois Emergency Response Team, which is already down there," Daley said. "The tank truck is on its way. We are awaiting further instructions from FEMA."

{lt}I{gt}Tribune staff reporter Gary Washburn contributed to this story.{lt}/I{gt}