View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It sounds weird because I am not a Journey fan and never bought any of their music.
Lets define cool. I was a teen in the 80s and not the 70s. Fleetwood Mac was definitely not cool anytime during the 80s and the Mac lost most of their rock chops and rock credibility after Rumours. Tusk and Sara were not played on rock stations and neither was Mirage. Journey was on the front page of almost every Hit Parade magazine during the 1980s. For those of you across the pond, that was the #1 teen rock magazine. Journey is a rock band with your typical cheezy 80s ballads thrown in. My sister had the Frontiers album and it rocked pretty good. I don't think Separate Ways is cheezier than any other music video of the 1980s. IMHO Lindsey's GO INSANE video is probably one of the worst 80s videos with his high hair, his coat cape, and his laser beams coming from his eyes and fingertips. Talk about cheeze!
Fleetwood Mac after Rumours is almost considered an adult contemporary music group by many people. In my teen era there was never any coolness to the band and was something you almost had to hide. Journey had rock chops and packed arenas throughout the entire 80s decade in the states and were main plays on rock stations across the USA. I don't think you could ever compare the bands. Journey never used drum machines or cheezy synth pop stunts like the Mac did for Tango.
I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 80s when Journey was huge and had coolness. Today Journey is a typical touring act without the deep fan base the Mac has today. My definition of coolness is only my era in the 80s.

Trust me... my teen years were as sad as they could be trying to convince people of the merits of Fleetwood Mac in the late 80's. I was a real d!ck for trying. I have no concept of what Journey were like in the UK at that time.

Seriously though, for the past 10-15 years Fleetwood Mac have been a genuinely cool band to like. I mean... proper hip. For On With the Show I had loads of trendy celebrities sat in front of me.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood