View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You have no way of knowing that. You have no more access to that man's thinking than I do. He might have or he might not have agreed to include Green or Kirwan or even Welch, figuring that A) it wouldn't have killed him all these decades later, and B) it might at least have provided a couple of welcome changes to yet another run-through of the same set since 1997.

Yes, the great Mike Campbell is a very different guitarist from the great Lindsey Buckingham. Two very different styles. But who are you kidding about the "character" of the songs on tour? I've seen the videos. There is no different character in all those old warhorses. Campbell wasn't hired to treat Dreams and Rhiannon the way Buckingham treated his own Big Love. Mike was hired to replicate the signature riffs so that 18,000 screaming fans would be happy. That's what he's doing, bless his heart. And although he has more wiggle room on something like Black Magic Woman to put more Mike Campbell in it, the bulk of the set has to be performed the way the mobs want it. The tour is a confirmation of the dependable and the stable in the Fleetwood catalog. Its mandate is to play the songs everyone knows the way everyone remembers. You're trying to pretend this tour is the equivalent of Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk, and the suggestion is feeble.

To me, it seems like Mike has cherry picked a lot of guitar parts that are on the original recordings that Lindsey doesn't necessarily play "by the book" live. If I had to guess, those smaller parts didn't cut through the mix when played "by the book" live, which led him to develop a stronger arrangement for live shows.