View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
My version from the normal CD release is 32.7MB so there's absolutely no difference in them at all. On all the files I checked they are exactly the same in size to 8 significant figures, which must mean they're the same thing. I wonder why I'm not getting the same discrepancy as you?

I'll wait until I can play my own copy on a really good system (since that's what it's made for) but I wasn't expecting the ones from the audiophile CD to look exactly the same in wave form. I was expecting it to be quieter as well, I guess.
It's doubtful you would hear the differences between the 2 CDs. Unless you have some nice B&W speakers or some Viennas, in a room specifically designed for monitoring, I doubt it.

Compression in CD format tends to...how to say this..."identify" noise (or sound) which are more or less unperceived. In other words...parts of the track which would be hard to hear. Usually its in the higher frequencies (the Tss tss tss tss sound a hi-hat makes on a drum kit). At the same time, sounds that are drown out by louder noises or sounds (a loud guitar power chord or a cymbal crash) tend to get pushed back down too. As they say in audio land...those particular sounds get coded with less accuracy, or they just plain aint coded at all!

That may sound a bunch of gobbledy gook...but there you have it.