View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
I count myself in that group. I don't buy solo albums by any of the other members, but I buy all of Lindsey's. On the other hand, I think Mick and John and Christine bring out the best in Lindsey's songs. For instance, listening to the original leaked solo version of GIFT OF SCREWS, the songs on which Mick and John play (not to mention Christine's vocals on tracks like "Steal Your Heart Away") stand out above most everything else that Lindsey has released as a solo artist. Those people just have a vibe when they play together that adds so much warmth and personality.

I love Lindsey's music, but it tends to lean toward the cooler temperatures. It's sometimes so perfectly executed and precise that it loses something intangible that the band brings out naturally.

I think that's why I enjoyed Lindsey's songs on the THIS IS 40 soundtrack so much. I mean, the songs themselves feel like they're a little undercooked, but the production is warm and organic thanks to Jon Brion (who, by the way, is ridiculously talented as a producer, composer, and artist---check out his album, MEANINGLESS). Lindsey has a tendency to mess with his own voice with vari-speed, effects, etc., but he has a great voice, and it shines through on those Brion-produced songs.

Oops. I'm getting off-topic. My point is that I will miss hearing Mick and John and Christine performing Lindsey's songs.

matt
Staying a bit off topic. I loved that 4 (mick,John, Christine, Lindsey) line up on BuckVie. I love having them playing together. The sound and chemistry is awesome.