View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
Totally agree.I think Lindsey goes too far with her sometimes due to their personal past but at the same time she needs a little constuctive criticism.Stevie loves to be in charge and Dave Stewart was just kinda like a fly on the wall and didn't make any waves.The whole process therefore of IYD was a combination of total control and fun,fun,fun.As A result I thought IYD was a dud except for a few songs.She even said that all Dave had to do was look at her face and if he saw any displeasure in her expression he would switch gears.Now that's control!Or he's just a p....y
When it comes to Stevie's solo career, she's the boss- plain & simple. If she doesn't like a particular producer, style of working, or sound, it's her prerogative and even her duty to fix those issues. I think after recording under unabashedly domineering men for decades, it was Stevie's turn to take the reigns on her solo music. And that's just what she did for In Your Dreams. I personally think the end product was fantastic- it was probably the purest incarnation of Stevie as an artist that we've ever heard. Yes, there are clunkers on In Your Dreams. But Stevie has recorded clunkers since Buckingham Nicks onward.

That being said, Fleetwood Mac is an entirely different animal. Christine & Lindsey seem to totally feed off the musical conflict of working out songs. It brings out the best in both of them creatively. They challenge & respect each other musically. It's sort of like musical crossfit for them. This back & forth is part of what makes Fleetwood Mac rise to greatness.

Stevie has admitted since the 1970s that she doesn't care for that sort of thing when it comes to her own music. She doesn't like tampering with her vision, changing/paring her lyrics, etc. She brings forth a flower bud and expects Fleetwood Mac to simply provide the water which allows it to bloom. This is probably why she's been so reticent to record with the band again, especially after the empowering & affirming stint with Dave Stewart. For the first time in her career, she got to work exactly as she'd always dreamed. Now she has to go back to being 1/5 of a group. Which means she has less of a say in the music that has her name on it, and in the end, back to compromise.

Does this mean I think Dave Stewart should produce Fleetwood Mac? Absolutely not. I think it'd be disastrous. Fleetwood Mac needs creative friction, not just a yes man. I also foresee it being a trainwreck if Lindsey produces his & Christine's songs, but Dave produces Stevie's. I think ideally for me, Lindsey should produce everyone's songs with another producer who will provide a second opinion.