View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
It's just that sometimes your "facts" err opinions I don't agree with. However, I agree with your assessment of Buddy Holly.
When are you going to learn you can't argue with the facts! LOL

I think of Bill Haley's Comets as a rock-abilly band with horns. The Crickets were a drummer, a bass player, and a guitarist, IE a rock band. Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry along with Holly maybe my favorite artist(s) from this era so you won't get any arguments from me.

It's hard to deny Bill Haley his place with that great Rock Around The Clock anthem of his. May not have been technically the first R&R tune circa 1954 (after all, he did do Crazy Man, Crazy a year earlier), but that little ditty set so many wheels a-turning. IIRC, it was recorded at the Pythian Temple studios in NYC, where Buddy would later record himself. [also hard to believe it's barely over 2 minutes long - amazing].

And yes, all the acts above were golden. You hear a spattering of each on Kiln House, with the sound and style appropriately modernized. That is still sounds fresh today is a testament to how well the guys put their heads together and made the most of an otherwise unfortunate hand. I often wish we had a KH-2, and I guess we sort of do with the Madison Blues compilation release (with emphasis on sort of ).

His influence on the British bands of the 60's and beyond is hard to quantify. Of course we all know of someone who was at his creative peak for three years until he left. At least in his case, he's still alive.

Good parallel. Too bad the psychedelic era led so many down the road of heavy drug use, often stemming from more innocent experimentation. It was all the rage back then! If it hadn't been for that key element, things may have spun a different way for the Mac. In fact, it would have almost certainly.

To quote Peter Gabriel, "I know what I like, and I like what I know".

Not bad from PG, but try this instead: What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular. *Truth*

The thread is under "The End of the Game" in the Peter Green section.

Ah yes, THAT thread! Not a bad one at all if I may say so. I must find my way there yet again.