View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default True, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I SERIOUSLY doubt Donovan had Stevie in mind when he wrote "Try For The Sun", nor even knew of her existence. Lindsey just covered it somewhere along the lines during the "Gift Of Screws" sessions, along with covering four relatively obscure Rolling Stones tunes ("She Smiled Sweetly", "Blue Turns To Grey", "Gotta Get Away" & "The Singer Not The Song"). I also seriously doubt that EVERYTHING Lindsey writes is about Stevie and vice versa...no matter HOW it may seem like it in our fantasies.
Lindsey must've known, even as he covered it, what a lot of us fans would think when he covered a song about a guy running off with a gypsy and made it into a love song. He's not that clueless!

Perhaps he was like, "Oh, well, who cares if everybody thinks I chose to sing this because of my former relationship with Stevie, I'll cover it anyway - and I'd better change 'gypsy boy' to 'gypsy girl' so people don't think I'm gay." However, surely no one is surprised that many folks would come to a different conclusion, considering the context of the song?

It's all just speculation anyway.