View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow-that little Sony really did a nice job. I had used a similar one by Olympus (that I typically used for classes) to record quite a few shows but was never satisfied. I recently upgraded to a TASCAM DR-05 and have been experimenting with it.

I took it to a local concert in a small venue and was excited by the results. Then I took it to see Roisin Murphy and the bass in the venue blew the recording. There was lots of distortion but the quieter parts sound great. I had used the Auto Leveler feature on the recorder and thought it would prevent distortion. I did some more reading and found that I should have used the Limiter feature (I was aware of both features but mistakenly figured they did the same thing). I had on the limiter for the Stevie show in Philadelphia but I think it made the recording sound like it needs to have the treble turned up. It did, in fact, prevent any distortion which is good.

I'm going to experiment with the wav file in Audacity to see if I can make some improvements to the sound on the Stevie in Philadelphia recording.

I've never been able to justify the expense of equipment that the 'professional bootlegers' use. Plus, it seems like a lot of moving parts to have the recorder, the mics, the battery backup, etc. Maybe one day when I win the lottery!

It'd be great to hear your recording of Columbia!
There is always magic to be summoned at any point. I love to live in a world of magic, but not a fake world of magic. We all really basically have a lot of magic....it's only those of us that choose to accept it, that really understand it. It's there for everyone. That's the only thing that I feel that I am able to give to people and that's why I know that they respond to me because I try to give them only their own magic...not mine, but theirs.
~Stevie Nicks, Jim Ladd Innerview, 1979